Home > Our Services > Frequently Asked Questions

 Frequently Asked Questions

Can I get help with my utility bill?
Senior Resource Association (SRA) may be able to provide emergency assistance for cut-off or past due electric bills to qualified individuals, when funding is available. See EHEAP for details.

Can I get help with transportation to doctors' appointments?
Yes, SRA's Community Coach provides door-to-door transportation for medical and other appointments.

Where can I apply for Medicaid and Food Stamps?
You may apply for Medicaid and Food Stamps at several ACCESS Florida locations throughout Indian River County, they include:  Harvest Food & Outreach Center (772.564.9365), St. Vincent de Paul (772.589.3338), and Treasure Coast Community Health (772.257.8224).

Where can I get help with Medicare prescription plans?
You may call Your Aging Resource Center  (1.866.684.5885) and ask for a SHINE representative; or Medicare (1.800.633.4227). You can also apply on-line at  http://www.medicare.gov/.

Where can I get assistive devices (i.e., walker, bedside commode, wheelchair, shower chair and/or cane)? 
SRA maintains a Loan Closet which provides assistive devices free-of-charge when available. Please contact us at (772.569.0760) to learn more.

How can I get a home health aide?
If you are a Medicare beneficiary, you may be eligible for home health services upon discharge from a hospital or rehabilitation facility. To explore the possibility of a home health aid if you are being discharged from a hospital or rehabilitation facility, please talk with your discharge planner. Private pay home health services are also an option; see A Guide to Senior Services. For home health services through publicly funded programs, contact Your Aging Resource Center for more information at (1.866.684.5885).

If I suspect someone is a victim of neglect, abuse, exploitation or is a victim of self-neglect, what can I do?
Call Adult Protective Services at (1.800.962.2873). The Florida Abuse Hotline screens allegations of abuse/neglect to determine whether the information meets the criteria of an abuse report.

How can I find affordable senior housing?
A directory of Rental Housing options throughout Indian River County is included in A Guide to Senior Services in Indian River County.

Where can I get help with legal problems?
Contact Florida Rural Legal Services (1.888.582.3410) or Florida Senior Helpline (1.888.895.7873) or 211 Palm Beach/Treasure Coast (dial 211).

*Updated April 2015


694 14th Street, Vero Beach, FL 32960
Phone: 772.569.0760 | Fax: 772.778.7272

Copyright © 2011 Senior Resource Association. All Rights Reserved.